Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Star Trek Expedition

I've never really been a Star Trek fan.  There, I said it.  Let the stone throwing commence.  Not sure entirely why, but I just could never really get into it.  The 2009 movie was the first version to spark even a tiny bit of enthusiasm in me.  So, when my husband decided he wanted to go back and watch all of Star Trek: The Next Generation, I was hesitant to watch.  At first I was just going to let him watch it on his own, but he wore me down, and I gave it a go.  Turns out it's not as bad as I remembered and I am actually kind of enjoying it.  It's still hokey, but what wasn't in the late 80's?  I had forgotten that Wil Wheaton played Wesley Crusher, and it made me smile to see him so much younger on screen.  I am also a fan of Patrick Stewart, so perhaps that played into some of my new found enjoyment.  In any case, I will continue to watch and perhaps even grow to like it enough to watch another one in the series. 

Despite my Bleh! attitude towards the TV series, I am excited that Wizkids' Star Trek Expeditions will be arriving in stores on June 15th!  This is a cooperative board game designed by Reiner Knizia and themed around the 2009 Star Trek movie.  It includes 6 beautifully detailed Heroclix miniatures: James T. Kirk, Mr. Spock, Dr. Leonard McCoy, Nyota Uhura, a Klingon Battle Cruiser, and the U.S.S. Enterprise.  Also included: a game board, 14 Stardate cards, 42 Energize Cards, 21 Captain’s Log Cards, 25 Captain’s Log Supplemental Cards, 15 Regular and five Major Discovery Tokens, A Score Tracker, Four away team cards, Four turn order cards, and Three Custom dice. 

Here is what you can look forward to during a game:

Up to four players can work together to play through an "episode" of Star Trek.  The Enterprise has been assigned to Nibia, a new planet that has petitioned for Federation membership. However, when the ship arrives, they find three things wrong:
  1. A Klingon battle cruiser is in orbit of the planet;
  2. The planet is on the verge of a civil war; and
  3. The planetary government is reconsidering its petition for membership.
Your mission, should you choose to accept, is:
  1. Deal with the Klingon ship in orbit;
  2. Stop the Klingon interference to stop the civil war; and
  3. Convince the planet to join the Federation.
You have thirty turns (days) to complete all three aspects of the mission before the battle cruiser is joined by the rest of its battle fleet, forcing the Enterprise to withdraw and losing the planet to the Klingon Empire.  The unique co-op play of this game allows for sixteen different mission outcomes, so each time the game is played, the players' decisions will lead to a different end. The more successful your play, the more plot options will be available.

So, If you are a fan of Star Trek, games by Reiner Knizia, and/or Heroclix, this new board game is bound to be a winner for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment