Monday, November 14, 2011

I Am The Lorax!

Just in case you missed this, The Lorax is coming to a theatre near you!




"I am the Lorax.  I speak for the trees!  I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues...."  Ever since I was a young girl, I have adored this tale of the glorious Truffula trees.

The Once-ler, enamored by these gorgeous trees, decides to use their beautiful foliage to knit a "Thneed."  You see, a thneed is a thing that all people need!  The thneed is such a success that the Once-ler calls upon his relatives to come help manufacture more thneeds.  The Lorax pleads for him to stop, but he is ignored.

Unfortunately, the Once-ler learns too late what his greed has done to the land, and as the last Truffula tree gets chopped down, the Thneed factories close down and the Once-ler's family departs, leaving the Once-ler alone with the Lorax.

As the Lorax sadly departs through a hole in the smog, he leaves behind a small pile of rocks with the word "UNLESS" inscribed into them.  Unless someone lilke you cares a whole awful lot...

This message has stuck with me throughout the years, making me more conscious of the environment and my impact on it.  It's a message that I hope to pass along to my own son, and I can't think of a better tale than The Lorax.  Thanks you Theo Geisel for such a wonderful story.

The movie is aiming for a March 2, 2012 release to coincide with what would have been the 108th birthday of Seuss.  I hope you join me in celebrating this fantastically fun story written by an amazing storyteller.

No comments:

Post a Comment